Aerosol chemical agents have been around for many years. The impact of the use of these chemical agents wasn't significant until 1976 when Mr. Gardner Whitcomb introduced an Oleoresin Capsicum (pepper spray) formulation. At the request of Mr. Whitcomb, the first official OC training manual was co-written by Roland Ouellette and Ed Nowicki. OC has proven to be more effective than CS or CN, and as a result, numerous companies now manufacture OC aerosol sprays.
Since the introduction of the OCAT® "Oleoresin Capsicum Aerosol Training" program in 1991, thousands of instructors and countless basic users have been trained from agencies such as healthcare, federal, military, law enforcement, security, and corrections. The OCAT® program is not brand specific and addresses the proper use of all OC products.
Personal Protection Consultants Inc. owns and administers the OCAT® training programs through a network of In-House Instructors and Independent Instructor-Trainers. PPC, Inc. instructors have many years of law enforcement experience, as well as nearly 20 years of OCAT® training experience.
What is Oleoresin Capsicum? Commonly called "Pepper Spray", Oleoresin Capsicum is a convenient aerosol spray that is used as a protection device. When used before hands-on defense, there is less risk of injuries to all parties.
Effects of OC? OC affects the skin, face, eyes, and respiratory system and is usually immediately debilitating. This court-defensible deterrent is reliable and has no long-term harmful effects on the recipient. OC is widely accepted as a safe control option for human service personnel.
The OCAT® program is designed for public safety officers who deal with conflict or potential violence. This includes corporate security, federal, state and local law enforcement organizations, contract security companies, academic or healthcare law-enforcement and security, corrections, military police, probation and parole, bail enforcement, and executive protection. More than 8,000 OCAT® instructors have been trained worldwide.
Through a combination of Practical Exercises and Classroom instruction you will learn how to:
- Identify the stages of conflict in order to: recognize the threat, reduce the threat, and determine how and when to use force.
- Apply state-of-the-art tactical concepts such as: spraying techniques, disengagement, proper defensive positions, methods of movement, multiple opponent defense, contact and cover system, defense against moving attacks, ground defense, and drawing techniques.
- Avoid liability suits through: Certified training, understanding the effects of OC spray, identifying factors which justify OC use, and proper OC incident documentation.
- OCAT® is a non-product specific training program. Once trained and certified you and your agency decide which brand, canister size, heat and spray pattern suit your needs.
- What is OC?
- Heat of OC, Concentration Levels and Calculating Capsaicin Content
- Spray Patterns
- Skin Sensitivity, Effects on the Eyes and Respiratory System
- Other Effects and After Effects
- How to Use OC
- General After Use Guidelines and Post Exposure Cleansing
- In-Custody Deaths and Recognizing Excited Delirium
- General OC Information, Number of Bursts, Flammability, Area Recovery, Storage and Shelf Life
- Material Safety Data Sheets
- Resistance and Control Management
- Officer and Individual Factors and Escalation Through the Levels of Control
- Recognizing the Threat
- Elements of Reporting Resistance and Control
- Agency Policies and Procedures
- Principles of Balance, Movement, Center and Reaction Time
- Defensive Position
- Relative Positioning
- Drawing Techniques
- Spraying techniques for single or multiple aggressors
- Contact and Cover System
- Moving Attack
- Ground Defense
- Defense from an OC Attack
- Methods of Instruction (Instructor Course)
- OCAT® Director of Training
- OCAT® Master Instructor (Invitation Only)
- 8-hour OCAT® Instructor-Trainer Course-Valid for 4 years
- 8-hour OCAT® In-House Instructor Course-Valid for 4 years
- 4-hour OCAT® Basic Course- Valid for up to 3 years
OCAT® In-House Instructor Certification
- Eight hour course developed by Edward J. Nowicki (President, Performance Dimensions, Inc.) and Roland W. Ouellette (Former President, MOAB Training Int'l, Inc.).
- Tactical concepts focused on how, why, and when to use OC in a variety of situations make this program the most effective, court defensible, and state-of-the-art OC training program of its kind in the country.
- In-House Instructor Certification entitles you to train, certify, and re-certify your personnel in the OCAT® Basic course.
- In-House Instructor Certification is valid for four years.
- The OCAT® In-House Instructor program can be held at our training facility or yours.
- Training fee includes manual, certificate, and one year enrollment in our instructor support program.
In-House Instructor and Instructor-Trainer Support Program
Included in the original certification fee is a one year enrollment in the Instructor Authorization and Support Program. Subsequent years are billed annually at $55. This nominal support fee covers costs associated with maintaining a professional support system.
- Access to the Members Only area of the PPC, Inc. website.
- Maintenance and recognition of basic course student records
- Free wallet-size basic OCAT® certification cards
- Free 8.5" x 11" basic OCAT® certificates
- Maintenance of instructor course records, including certification and re-certification
- Instructor wallet-size cert/support cards
- Issuance of instructor certificates upon initial certification and re-certification
- Supplemental mailings to notify instructors of updates in lesson plans, training methods, and training aids
- Day-to-day technical support
- Information on agency, technical, and laboratory studies involving OC products
Course Pricing and Training Options
- Open Enrollment 8-hour In-House Instructor Courses- $299 per person
- On-Site 8-hour In-House Instructor Courses- $299 per person (minumum of 8) plus expenses
- On-Site 4-hour Basic Courses- $99 per person (minimum of 10) plus expenses
Effective January 1st, 2011 In-House Instructors may not engage in the business of charging fees in exchange for training and/or certifying individuals in the OCAT® programs without the prior authorization of PPC, Inc. If you are considering OCAT® training and it is not being offered directly from PPC, Inc. please contact our office to verify the validity of the Instructor or company offering the training. We will be happy to assist you.
Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Personal Protection Consultants, Inc. does not guarantee the suitability of this training program for any individual or agency. Individuals and agencies must decide if this training program meets their needs before implementation. Certification in this training program does not license an individual to carry or use OC aerosols. The information contained within this training program may only be used by public and private law-enforcement officers while in the performance of official duties. Any unauthorized, illegal or unethical use of the information in this training program is prohibited. Although every effort has been made for this training course, manual, and related materials to be complete and accurate, it is impossible to predict, discuss or plan for every circumstance or situation which might arise in the course of training, or when encountering a resistive or aggressive individual. Each trainee assumes the risk of loss, injury, and damages associated with this training and use of the information obtained through this program. Therefore, the trainee must always take into consideration the trainee’s experience, physical abilities, professional responsibilities, agency procedures, legal requirements and the recommendations and techniques contained in this training course, manual, and related materials, before deciding which techniques should be used and under what circumstances. PERSONAL PROTECTION CONSULTANTS, INC. CANNOT GUARANTEE OR WARRANT THE TRAINING, MANUALS OR RELATED MATERIALS. ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES ARE EXPRESSLY DISAVOWED.